Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day
Title: Every Day
Author: David Levithan
Pages: 336
Rating: 5 out of 5

From Goodreads:
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.
It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.
---------------

I've used masculine pronouns even though A's a gender free character.

"I've never fallen in love with a gender. I have fallen for individuals. I know this is hard for people to do, but I don't understand why it's so hard, when it's so obvious."
A knows how to go day to day in other people's lives without being noticed. Then he meets Rhiannon when he spends a day as her boyfriend, Justin. She sticks with A, even after his day with her is over. Every day after Rhiannon is spent thinking about her, and trying to get back to her. A gets careless when he inhabits a boy, Nathan, who realizes that someone else was controlling his body for the day.

I felt connected instantly. It only took one paragraph to pull me in. Truly, I was connected with this book before it was released. The synopsis called to me. I needed to read this. This is a book that makes you think about what you take from each day.

I started off hoping that all the body hopping wouldn't become confusing or messy, and it never did. The concept of the book was somewhat creepy, but I didn't find A creepy at all.
A is a gentle soul and so very easy to fall in love with. A's existence is purely based on other people, which is really depressing when you stop to think about it. There's no one to really know A, to love A, or to miss A when he's gone.

Rhiannon was a breath of fresh air. Levithan created a very real girl, with a realistic life[before A, of course]. She has a douchebag boyfriend that she holds onto because she thinks that things might get better. She has her doubts about A, and seriously, who wouldn't in that situation.

I really enjoyed the different people A inhabits. Some I loved, some I hated, a couple I felt bad for, and a couple I wanted to slap. One girl really left an impression on me, as she did with A. I'm finding that I'm actually still curious about her now.

There are a lot of questions that go unanswered, but it somehow works. The why's and what's are never explained, but it didn't take away from the beauty of the story. The ending was open enough to allow for another book, but also just final enough to be the true end. Though I think that most readers would find it a little frustrating if Levithan leaves the story as is. I am hoping for more from A in the future.

If you lived every day in a different body would you try to change people or go unnoticed?

1 comment:

  1. I have this one, I still haven't read it but, I can't wait to because I have heard Leviathan is an amazing author and writer, this book I have been waiting for, I love the plot it's new,different, and fresh, and it makes you think. I think it's amazing when after you read a book, you stop and think about yourself and your life. That is definitely a sign of a great author. Awesome review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete