Monday, July 9, 2012

Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to YA Vixens!

This blog will center around YA novels, but may occasionally feature other genres. I'm Kait, one half of YA Vixens. I'm in my mid-twenties[ew, I don't like the sound of that], but I've always been drawn to YA novels. Some may see it as odd that I prefer young adult over "adult" books, but I know that my fellow YA readers understand. I've been a reading addict my entire life. I spent most of my childhood and teenage years with my nose in a book. I was never afraid of being called a nerd, even to this day.

I never had a friend who liked to read until I met my best friend Beth, the other YA Vixen. We're always talking about the books we've read and the books we can't wait to read. That's what this blog is all about. Books we love, books we didn't love as much, and the books we can't wait to get our hands on.


Now, onto some fun. To get an idea of what I like I'm going to create a list of my favorite books I've read, so far, in 2012. [Some of these may have come out in 2011]



Favorite Books of 2012









10. Easy by Tammara Webber

Some people are calling this[and others I've read] a "new adult" book. It's takes place in college, during the transitional age between teen and true adult, but I'm just going to call it YA because I want to.

I love this book. The characters are awesome and the storyline is great. There was just enough steamy tension, but seeing as this is a mature YA book there was also some... uh, sexual release. I would recommend this to everyone.



9. The Providence Series by Jamie McGuire
 
Jamie McGuire is one of my favorite authors. She has a way of bringing you into a story and holding you there until the very last page. I was lucky enough to come across Providence and Requiem[the first and second in the series] just days before the release of Eden, so I didn't have to wait to finish the series.

The Providence Series has the perfect amount of paranormal and romance. Jared will forever be in my top ten swoon-worthy book boyfriends.













8. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareThe Immortal Instruments has been one of my favorites for years, ever since I first read City of Bones. I've grown to love all the characters in different ways. I'll be the first to admit I was disappointed when I saw there was going to be six books, I felt that the third book, City of Glass, tied the series up quite nicely. I wasn't very impressed with City of Fallen Angels, the fourth book, so I went into this one a little apprehensive. I was definitely proven wrong. The fifth installment made up for the fourth book, plus some. My favorite characters were back and better than ever. There were even some shocking parts, which I love. It is definitely a must read[as is the whole series, just deal with the fourth book].












7. Reason To Breathe & Barely Breathing by Rebecca DonovanThese books should come with a warning, they will make you cry. If they don't then you are emotionally dead. Not really, but you get the point. I stayed up until three a.m. reading Reason To Breathe on my Nook and immediately bought Barely Breathing when I finished. I had my heart broken more than once while reading these.

I am, not so patiently, waiting for Out of Breathe to be released.





6. Pandemonium by Lauren OliverThis is the second book in a dystopian trilogy with a very original idea. In the first book, Delirium, you find yourself in a world where love is a disease. I was addicted from the moment I read the synopsis on Delirium. I hoped that the series wouldn't fall victim to the middle book slump, and it definitely did not. I loved the progression of the main character, Lena, from the first to the second book. I just wish that the final book in the trilogy, Requiem, was coming out sooner than 2013.











5. Flat-Out Love
by Jessica ParkJessica Park is amazing. Let me just throw that out there. This book did something that most cannot, it made me laugh out loud. I usually just smile to myself or think "Oh, that's funny" , but I found myself laughing out loud so many times during while reading this book. This book has a great story with a serious twist that left me in tears. It also has one of the quirkiest characters ever. Seriously amazing read. I can't wait to see what's next for Jessica Park.











4. Insuregent by Veronica RothThis is another middle book in a dystopian trilogy that did not disappoint. Divergent, the first in the series had me hooked from page one, and I couldn't wait for the second to come out. There were parts of this book that made me want to scream out of frustration, but it all came together nicely. There was one hell of a cliffhanger though. I don't know how I'll be able to wait until 2013 for the third, still untitled book, in the series.











3. Obsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutOh, Obsidian...

I read so many good things about this book on Goodreads, so I had to try it out. I am so very glad I did. This book is awesome, amazing, fucking fantastic. I was weary of this book at first because it's about aliens, which I am completely terrified of, but the aliens were so different that it didn't bother me at all. Let me be honest though, I loved this book because of Daemon. He is a character you will love, even when you don't want to. He is definitely on my short list of book boyfriends. I can't wait to see where the story goes in the second book, Onyx, which is out in about a month.













2. Slammed by Colleen HooverI was moved in a way that I haven't been in a very long time when I read this book. Colleen Hoover inspired me. She created a story that was emotional and beautiful. The connections in Slammed were raw and real. Will is quite possibly the best good guy character ever. I was in love instantly.

Some surprising things happened when I read this book: I rediscovered my love for poetry, and found myself falling in love with slam poetry. I also found a new band to love. If you haven't read this, you must. Go buy it now. Seriously. Now.















1. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireJamie McGuire is a rock star. Case in point: she's on my list twice. Beautiful Disaster is exactly what the title states. It is definitely a mature YA book, it's almost too mature to call young adult and I wouldn't recommend it for the younger YA audience. It was amazing. I sat down to start reading this and didn't move again until I had finished. It's hard not to fall in love with Travis, another one of my forever book boyfriends, from the first description.

This book is like crack. I didn't start another book for two days because I kept rereading certain parts to get my fix. Jamie is currently working on Beautiful Disaster from Tavis' point of view. I can't fucking wait.



So that's my list for today. Check back soon for my review of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater




1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad you started this - you have the exact same taste in books as me and my sister (we are constantly reading and swapping books) so I'll be a loyal follower for sure! :D
    x

    ReplyDelete