Saturday, February 9, 2013

Review: Reached - Ally Condie

Reached - Ally Condie
 ♥♥♥
Reached by Ally Condie 
"You can not change your journey if you are unwilling to move at all."
 
My feelings about Reached can be summed up in just one word. 
Conflicted: Opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible wishes or drives, sometimes leading to a state of emotional tension and thought to be responsible for neuroses.
   
I think I got my hopes up too high for the last installment in the Matched trilogy. I'd love to say that I wasn't disappointed, but I was. I really enjoyed Matched, was happy with Crossed, but Reached... it just didn't reach me. Ally Condie is a fabulous writer, but it feels like she got bored with this series and had nothing left to put into it. For me, Reached was very slow, and very wordy.

I liked the multiple points of view, however... the only character that made any impression on me is Xander. Ky doesn't really make much of an appearance in this installment... [Go figure, based on Crossed.] As for Cassia, I just couldn't connect with her. I also liked that Indie had a little more of a role in this book. I also enjoyed the parts that weren't within the Provinces. The camp outside the outer Provinces was probably my favorite part of the book.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Reached, it was a good conclusion to the series, but I just think Ally Condie could have got to the point a lot faster. An over abundance of information, just left me feeling like it was a chore to finish the book. In Matched and Crossed I was pretty sure who I sided with for the love interest for Cassia. Reached totally got me thinking again though. Again, the word Conflicted comes into play.

Writing a review for this is kinda hard, without spoilers. I really love Ally Condie's writing style, and Reached is just as well written as her first two novels, if not better written. I want to give it a better review, but if I'm to be honest... I can't. A lot of elements came into play in the first two novels, and the action in them was great. Reached was lacking in that department. I hope that others don't feel the same as I do about this novel, and can enjoy he ending of this series. I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed with the BOOK or with MYSELF for not liking it. Again... CONFLICTED!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVED Reached, but I can totally understand where you're coming from. It was kind of a slow, almost sad novel. And the point of view of Xander almost made me hope for a different outcome, but also kind of not. I loved it and loved the way everything turned out, but there was a sadness and disappointment to the story (and I wonder if it wasn't supposed to be like that). Great review!

    ReplyDelete