Saturday, March 9, 2013

ARC Review: On Every Street by Karina Halle

On Every Street (The Artists Trilogy, #0.5)

Title: On Every Street
Published: March 12th, 2013
Author: Karina Halle
Pages: 100+
Rating: 5/5 stars



I was given an ARC of On Every Street by the author for an honest review. This is no way influenced my review. This review is spoiler free.

On Every Street is a prequel to Sins & Needles, but you can read it before or after Sins & Needles. Or you can read it as a standalone, but I strongly suggest reading Sins & Needles simply because it's amazing.

Ellie Watt has never had a stable life. She is the daughter of two con artists who abandoned her long ago, after a drug lord ruined her leg. Now she's out for revenge. She changes her name to Eden White and sets her sights on someone close to Travis, the drug lord. Javier Bernal is beautiful, dangerous, and absolutely irresistible to Ellie. As she finds herself falling for Javier she begins to question if love is stronger than her need for vengeance.

“When I choose Javier as my mark, I never thought my mark would choose me. Because that's what Javier had just done. I wanted to win over his heart so I could get what I wanted. But I had a feeling he was about to get to my heart first.”

Karina Halle's writing is like a drug. Dangerous, destructive, and absolutely addictive. After finishing On Every Street I need another hit. Sometimes knowing how a story is going to end softens the blow a bit, but this was not the case for On Every Street. Although this is a novella, it doesn't read like one. It has as much substance as many full length novels I've read. This book started a war between my head and my heart. I knew I shouldn't fall for Javier, but much like Ellie my heart didn't care.

“I want to do more than survive. I want to live.”

Ellie is a character I already loved. She grew on me when I read Sins & Needles and I liked seeing a different side of her. Her chemistry and attraction to Javier is so strong it's begins to take on a life of it's own, becoming this almost tangible force that has complete control over her. I was reminded of how quickly love can make us forget the path we have laid out in front of ourselves.

“You are all mine, even if you run. I will find you because a soul needs its other half to truly live.”

Javier is so much more than I expected. I have a weak spot for the bad boys[don't we all?], so I knew I would have a Javier crush. I didn't think I would feel so strongly for his character. I was terrified and excited by his fierceness[RAWR!], but what really won me over was his soft side he reserved only for Ellie/Eden. There's something so sexy about a man who can protect you, but when that man can also express his feelings it's like the total package[minus the whole drug cartel business]. Javier is one of the most loveable bad boys I've come across.


“It's funny what love can do to a person. It strips them of everything, even their instincts. It creates a new world for you to adhere to, a new world where you break the rules just to keep the love intact.”
At the end of the book, the very last page, I just stared at the blankness for a minute. I had to digest what I read, and let my raging emotions simmer back to normal. I finished On Every Street with a heart that was a little heavier and eyes that were a lot redder. I am having serious withdrawals from Ellie and Javier already. I can't wait for Shooting Scars, the second book in the series.

-Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment