Thursday, November 15, 2012

Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Deity by Jennifer L. ArmentroutTitle: Deity[Covenant #3]
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 360
Published: Spencer Hill Press
Rating: 5 out of 5

From Goodreads:
"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

-------------------

Damn you, Jennifer, damn you.

This is going to be a very hard review to write, but I am going to keep it spoiler free.

Deity was my favorite in the series so far. Every relationship that Alex has changes in this book. Alex's awakening has everyone on edge, especially Alex. She's terrified that her connection to Seth once she's a full blown Apollyon will cause her to lose herself. To make matters worse, someone she trusts is about to betray her.

I love when a book changes my mind, it means that the author is doing something very right. I think that JLA had every intention of making me fall for Seth in Pure. He was so sexy and funny. Then there was the vulnerability that was peeking through, and that was what pushed me over the Seth edge. I was never a huge Aiden fan, even in Half-Blood. Sure, I wanted Aiden & Alex to get together because I like when the character gets what they want, but I didn't have a great connection with Aiden. After reading Deity I can say that I am on Team Aiden.

Aiden... wow. I don't even know what to say about him. I'm sorry I doubted you! I knew how he felt about Alex, it's obvious to anyone who's paying attention, but I wasn't really believing. I didn't think he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for his love. Let's just say, I'm a believer now.

Seth, my poor Seth. Don't get me wrong, I love Seth. Even after all the Aiden love I was giving. Right now someone is looking at their computer screen like "wtf?". Yes, I still love Seth after reading Deity. Mostly for the same reason I fell for him in the first place, his vulnerability. Seth is still a mystery and I want to know more about him.

The Gods really come to play in this book as well. I loved the way they came around, some helpful and some... not so much. They were powerful, beautiful, and absolutely terrifying.

As with any JLA book, there were plenty of hilarious and aw-inducing lines. Here are a few of my favorites:


-"Yeah, I'm great. Nothing like witnessing a death match between gods when I'm trying to get some Cheetos." -Deacon

-“Don't look at me like I've kicked a baby pegasus into the street.”-Alex

-"I was staring at the mother effin' Sun God."-Alex

-“That simple act stole my breath, my heart. But even as he pulled away, I realized that he couldn't steal something he already had.”-Alex

-“You're too strong to ever lose yourself. I believe that. Why can't you?”-Aiden


I've always favored The Lux series over The Covenant series, but now I'm not so sure. Deity was my favorite JLA book to date. I can't wait to see what's going to happen in Apollyon.

-Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment