Sunday, November 25, 2012

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)Title: Enshadowed
Author: Kelly Creagh
Pages: 429
Rating: 4 out of 5
From Goodreads:
True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen’s nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.

     But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe’s presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen’s innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.

     When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary—one who also happens to be her greatest love.
--------------

“Is — is any of this real?" she asked. "Are you real?"

He lifted a hand to her cheek, his fingers brushing her jaw.

"Even if this is a dream," he whispered, "I'm not."


I've been waiting to read this book for two years. So long, in fact, that I had to go back and skim over Nevermore to refresh my memory. In Nevermore I fell in love with a withdrawn, mysterious, emo-esque boy and I never looked back. I loved Varen from page one. And I missed him terribly in Enshadowed. Dream Varen just wasn't enough for me. Thankfully, the book was enough for me, for now.

It's been months since that night when Isobel cut off connection to the dream world, where Varen is now stuck, after being betrayed by Reynolds. When Isobel realized that Reynolds is the famed “Poe Toaster” she knows that if she can get to him then she can get to Varen. Now Isobel is doing whatever she can, including creating a rift between herself and her family, to get to Baltimore in time to meet Reynolds. With the help of Gwen, the only person she trusts, she makes her way to Baltimore. But just like a dream, things are not always what they seem.

“That a single kiss from a boy who knew how to walk through dreams, who himself now seemed to be a dream, hadn't irrevocably altered her.”
Isobel was somewhat of a girl you love to hate in Nevermore. I like her much better now, but there's still something in the way of me loving her. Her love for Varen is so strong it controls her. He haunts her day and night, and all she wants is to get him back into the real world and into her life. Her single mindedness was a bit irritating at times, but I definitely understood.

Gwen was amazing. She is hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud many times while reading anything she said. I was really glad that she had Isobel's back through everything, even when she was terrified.

I love Pinfeathers. There is just something awesomely creepy, yet loveable about him. The Nocs were one of my favorite parts of Nevermore, so I was a little sad that they weren't really present.

Isobel's family is also great. Usually YA novels leave out family relationships. While it's not something that deters me from reading a book, it is a noted absence. Isobel's parents are worried about her, and they show it in a way any caring parent would. I especially love her little brother.

Enshadowed was beautifully written. Creagh is a very poetic writer. She created a world that I think Poe would love. I seriously hope that it won't be another two years before I get to return to that world.

-Kait[Vixen1]

No comments:

Post a Comment