Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review: Choices by Annie Brewer


Choices (Choices, #1)Title: Choices
Author: Annie Brewer
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
From Goodreads:
Gracie had everything planned when it came to her future. She was set to go to California with her scholarship-jock boyfriend, attend college, get a degree, and maybe sometime later when they were older and successful, they would get married and start a family. But all of that was taken away by the passion of one careless night. A night that changed everything.

After days of sickness it becomes apparent that she’s pregnant, and the choices she must make now will change her life forever. Her senior year will not be filled with making stupid mistakes such as, getting drunk at parties, or worrying about school events. But whether her doctor’s appointment is next week or how to eat and sleep for her baby’s well-being.

This story tells of the experiences an expectant teenage mother goes through as a part of her is shaped by the news of her pregnancy and how true love is not just words but actually being there for that person when they’re most in need, despite the circumstances.

-----------------

My Thoughts:
Teen pregnancy is a tough subject to handle, but Annie Brewer did a great job with Choices.

Gracie is ready to enjoy what should be the best year of her young life, senior year. She has a cool jock boyfriend who loves her, and a best friend who is always by her side. When she finds out she's pregnant she's forced to make choices she never thought she would. And those choices will change her life forever.

I really enjoyed this story. It was funny, sweet, heartbreaking, and just enough steaminess. The characters were great, and I liked most of them.

Gracie was a naive high school girl. She thought her relationship with Nick was strong, until it was put to the test. She was a character that I felt bad for, but also became annoyed with. I wanted her to stand up for herself and not rely on her friends to jump in.

Nick was a typical high school guy who is pretty self centered. He wasn't a bad guy, just a scared kid who ran when shit got real.

Meg was pretty cool. She was a great best friend. She was always there for Gracie, but wasn't afraid to tell her when she was out of line or being a whiny bitch. I also loved the little side story between Meg and Mason. I love when secondary characters have their own lives too.

Carter was obviously my favorite of the book. He was a sexy, sweet guy and I couldn't get enough of him. I loved how accepting he was of Gracie. I was definitely won over by him.

I only had a couple issues with the book. One was the language. I found that some of the sentences were a little too proper, and I didn't think it sounded like a real conversation, especially between teens. At one point Carter tells Gracie their night together was "fun and enjoyable", it just sounded a little old. The other issue I had was the telling and not showing. I wanted more from the descriptions.
Overall I enjoyed the story and was only distracted a bit by the language.

Annie will be releasing some bonus Carter scenes soon. She's also working on a second companion book that I'm very excited to read.

Like Annie on Facebook HERE
Buy Choices on B&N HERE
Buy Choices on Amazon
HERE

-Kait[Vixen1]

No comments:

Post a Comment